MangaLam BhagavAN VishNu: MangaLam MadhusUdhana:
MangaLam PuNDarIkAksha: MangaLam Garudadhvaja
Mars the fiery planet is also known as ‘Mangal’ in India. Mars is a male planet and is the protector of all living beings. Mars is bilious (pita) and has a hot constitution. Its temperament can be described as easy to anger & rough in approach (ugra).
Mars could be described as looking strong, tall and hefty, with rough look and reddish complexion. He appears like a warrior, ready for a fight, riding on a horse with a spear in his hand, helmet on his head and armor on his body. To please to Mars it is essential to pray to Lord Ganesha as per Hindus. Ganesha is also known as ‘mangalmurti’ (auspicious idol). As ‘mangal’ means ‘auspicious’, so is Mars auspicious and considering it ‘inauspicious’ would be a sin.
Strength: Mars is an enthusiastic, energetic planet. It is the strength to the chart and recharges it also. Hence it could also be called a ‘Battery’. Mars is heat. It is energy which is reflected in every act made by an individual and the strong presence of this energy indicates a business orientation. Mars is very important with respect to strength, capability, efficiency and alertness. Hard work is the duty of Mars and hence we see Mars performing various kinds of significant roles in different charts. With the energy of Mars, concentration and effort is experienced but if the energies are underutilized/misused then anger, frustration, quarrels, enmity, envity, jealousy, harshness are experienced. If some other planets also direct the energy of Mars, then Mars can give better results showing confidence and determination.
Desires: Mars can struggle as it has desires and the strength to fulfill its motives. To fulfill its desires, it is ready to fight and also to take enmity and bitterness. Every act of Mars is fiery. It is always ready to fight. We can say that to defend is the nature of Mars. Wherever there is competition, opportunity for your capabilities and popularity, Mars presence is felt. Mars has a liking and the will power to win. Mars is a warrior like “Arjuna” but is also charitable like ‘Karna’  hence he will never accept defeat nor will he take a step back. Mars is proud and maintains satva guna (or is satwick). It is the significator of happiness from friends.
Guna dharma (inherent qualities): – Mars being a powerful planet related to anger, hot temperament, heroic acts, hasteful decisions, dominating, clear speech, sincereity and with an interest in farming, engineering, chemistry, maths and medicine. Mars enjoys giving orders as against making requests to a person to do work and it can make use of sam, dam & danda (equal pay and equal punishment). Hence, Mars is linked with high positions and authority e.g.: police, military chiefs, commanders, engineers, technicians, chemists, surgeons, doctors, mathematicians etc. Mars is an ambitious planet.
Nature: – Mars consists more of bitterness, intensity and fire. When making hard decisions we often have to put aside our emotions, because of these attributes Mars oriented natives often become infamous. Mars is Rajasic also signifies fire and energy, Fire, anger, burning, breaking, weapons, injury, onion, garlic, non-vegetarian foods. Mars signifies both land and siblings. Hence it is also known as ‘Bhumi Putra’ (son of the land), Kunj (garden) and Angarak (body guard). Mars is the war-God, it is also known as Militant Chief (Senapati). Aries and Scorpio are its signs and it is exalted in Capricorn. Sun, Jupiter and Moon are its friends. Nine (9) is its auspicious number and coral is his gemstone. Mars gives good results in 1st, 6th and 10th house.
Body parts and ailments: – Mars is related to sensory organs, forehead, excretory organs, bile, kidney and a strong build. It is related with red spots, bleeding, chicken pox, pile, blood, heat and nose related diseases.
Occupation: – The main occupation of Mars is Military Chief, apart from this it could also be related to chemist, medical stores, doctor, goldsmith, chef, operation theatre, advocates. Being the son of the land, it is also connected with farming and fossil fuel.
Results In Each House:
First house: – A person with Mars in 1st house is tough, sturdy, reddish complexion and harsh look. They are short tempered but kind, sincere and ready to face difficult situation and also find way out of the difficult situation.
- They may also get eye problems and possibilities of head problems.
- They may have a mark on the head and they may fear fire.
- In Mars dasha (period) the individual may have problems from fire or may get boils on their body due to heat. Mars in Aries is auspicious as a Lagnesh and Kendresh (Lord of Lagna and Kendra). Mars is also the lord of the 8th house in Aries Asc & hence would give fewer good results.
- Mars when placed in the 1st house gives better results for 1st, 5th, 9th or 10th
- If Sun, Moon, Jupiter conjoins Mars in the 1st house Mars gives the best results.
- Mars and Saturn together would increase attraction toward the opposite sex and sexual pleasures.
- Mars with Neptune and Uranus in 1H may give the person problems related to head due to accidents. The person may make progress in secret science.
- Mercury with Mars may give problems related to head.
- Mars when placed in 1st House and Jupiter in 5th, 7th and 9th will never give bad results.
Second house: –
- Presence of Mars in 2nd house may give defects of eyes due to heat and surgery.
- The native may own a farm. His speech will be clear and fearless, but may create misunderstandings.
- The family may worship Lord Ganesha and goddesses. Such person’s professions are mainly related to engineering and medicines.
- Mars in 2nd house in Taurus may give problems within the family and illness related to big intestines (piles).
- With the presence of Sun, Moon, Jupiter, Venus or Saturn with Mars, the native’s occupation will be dependant on the nature of the planets present with Mars.
- Presence of Mars with Rahu and Saturn may give significant problems wherein a person in the family will die before his thread ceremony is completed. This will not happen if this combination is aspected by Jupiter i.e., from Jupiter in 6th, 8th or 10th
Third house: – the native has self-respect and is good at debate.
- Mars in 3rd house may give health related problems because 3rd house is 8th house from 8th of chronic diseases.
- Mars, being determinant and dutiful, has the capability of taking immediate decisions. The native has big and beautiful handwriting.
- The presence of other planets with Mars in this house will give the results as per the nature of the planet.
- Presence of Saturn with Mars will give emotional stress as both the planets are of an opposite nature.
- Presence of Uranus with Mars will make the person research oriented. It may also make him very accident prone.
- Mars in 3rd house will also give its results of activating Prosperity if there are beneficial planets in the 9H, this is true in the case of transits also.
Fourth house: –
- If Mars is in Cancer in this house; the native is ambitious but gets late results.
- Mars in 4th will give native home, vehicle and farm. The native is fond of ruling and this wish is often fulfilled. 
- 4th house being a quadrant, all planets therein are strong.
- The presence of Rahu in 4th house may give vastu-dosha but with the presence of Jupiter in either the 8th, 10th and 12th house the native may not feel the ill-effects of Vastu-dosha.
- Mars in 4th house may give short happiness from mother but presence of Jupiter will give good maternal happiness and the mother will be dutiful.
- The presence of Mars with other planets in 4th house will also show an effect on the 10th
Fifth house: – With Mars in the 5th house, the native is hot-tempered but also benefits from ruling over kingdoms (in today’s context it would mean Ruling Government).
- Mars in 5th is good for medical science, surgery, engineering, technology and mathematics but Mars has to be strong.
- Its presence with Mercury will not make it weak but instead it helps Mercury.
- Its presence with Jupiter in this house, 9th, 11th and Asc indicates happiness from children.
- The presence of Saturn with Mars will give confusion with respect to decisions and delays in completing education.
Sixth house: – Mars in 6th house makes the native brave, self-respectful, hard working; those with this placement rarely bother about friend/enemy but lives dependant life. The native is brave but selfish.
- If Mars are with benefic planet, then the planets present in the 10th house and also the 10th house gets inspiration/upliftment thereby making the native to acquire riches and fame because 6th house is the house of fame of the 10th.
- The native suffers from illness related to heat in childhood.
- As 6th house is related to maternal house it indicates separation from maternal uncle or aunty.
- It also indicates loss from servants.
- Presence of Rahu and Saturn in the 6th house along with Mars indicates accident and handicap arising out of accident.
- If Mercury is present with Mars and the decision is taken haste fully without analyzing, it would result financial loss.
Seventh house: – Mars in this house creates disharmony/disputes with partner/spouse.
- Rahu and Uranus along with Mars may give divorce or short life with the spouse.
- Sun, Venus, Mercury and Jupiter with Mars will give independent business and good gains.
- The presence of Venus, Uranus and Neptune with Mars indicates possibilities of extra marital affairs but presence of Jupiter in 3rd and 11th house can prevent such relationships.
- The natives with Mars in 7th house should take the occupation related to factory or workshops. The native should also take up the occupation with respect to the nature of the other planets present with Mars in this house.
Eighth house: –
- Mars in this house does not yield good results nor does it give stability in financial matters. This does not give good results with respect to marital happiness or children.
- If Mars in the 8th house is of its own house, or exalted, or of 1st, 8th or 10th house then it gives sudden financial gains. It also gives legitimate testamentary financial gains and also gains from the spouse.
- Mars in the 8th house would also give troubles from an enemy.
Ninth house: –
- As the lord of the lagna is 9th, it gives lot of fame. It also indicates engineering studies and growth due to self-hard work.
- With Leo lagna, Mars forms a Raj-Yoga. Mars in fiery sign makes the individual protest easily, giving a tendency to be suspicious and also have little happiness from father.
- Presence of Uranus, Rahu and Saturn with Mars would indicate problems in occupation and financial loss.
- With Jupiter and Neptune, the native is inclined to spirituality.
- Similarly, he might also be a believer in meditation on Lord Ganesha.
- Mars in Aries, Leo and Sagittarius in its house would make the native harsh and of clear speech.
- Mars in Taurus, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces gives good luck and lots of travel but malefic planets if present will give hindrances.
Tenth house: – Mars is courageous and independent. It indicates changes in jobs and differences with superiors here.
- As 10th Mars is in quadrant it has self-respect, creates differences with father.
- Natives with Mars in the 10th are militant chief/ major/police due to Martian activities they get red, green and blue medals.
- Mars with Jupiter, Moon and Mercury in 10H will give the native life time achievement awards. The natives get success regularly and also it does not destroy the fruits of other planets in the horoscope.
- Saturn and Mars in 10th house makes the Mars very hasty as it does not get along with Saturn.
- Mars in 10th in quadrant will give different results with respect to the planets placed in the Asc.
- 10th Mars has its aspect on 5th, 4th and 1st house thus females would behave like males, similarly it would create disharmony due to its determinant nature. With aspect on the 5th house, it does not give good results with respect to children.
- Mars in the 10th house at the time of transit indicates change in job/occupation/home and vehicle. It gives natives the fame, luck, status and good financials.
- With 10th house Mars and the 2nd lord in the 4th house and Jupiter in the 6th house the native would make progress and rise higher through their own hard work and does not remain in down status for long.
- Mars in the 10th house indicates that it is the life of the horoscope and without Mars the horoscope has no life. Let us not forget this most important rule; Mars the Ascendant Lord of the Natural Zodiac is the Life-Force Activator as the 1H indicates the Life Force.
Eleventh house: – This house is called as the house of gains.
- Mars in Aries, Taurus, Virgo, Scorpio and Sagittarius would give major financial gains. If Mars 4th aspect is on 2nd House of Money and 7th aspect is on 5th the native gets good gains as this place is the gain house of the Asc and also it is the 9th house (fortune) of the 3rd house it gives good fame and luck however this would require lot of efforts (3H of efforts).
- Mars and Saturn will give financial instability.
- Rahu and Uranus with Mars in 11H may give sudden change.
- Mars with Neptune may give job in foreign company and success but does not get along with friends & siblings.
Twelfth house: – This house is disliked by Mars.
- This house does not allow Mars to bear it fruits. This gives illness of eyes and liking toward the spouses of others.
- Aries, Capricorn and Scorpio in 12th, the native is inclined towards medicine and engineering, but takes time to gain stability in job/occupation.
- Loss of business will occur if Mars is present with Rahu, Uranus and Saturn.
 Mythological hero from Mahabharata, an Indian epic, Karna was one of the greatest charity givers ever.
 One of the 3 Gunas (nature) of men, exhibiting royal traits
 Eyes are represented by 2nd House.
 In Hindus, a sacred ceremony is done at the age of 8, considered as a very significant event in the native’s life.
 One may also interpret it as this pattern leads to people who like to be boss in the home environment.
 Often seen working in real practice
 This combination holds true in practice
 The 8H shows the sustenance of marriage being 2nd to 7th & also the happiness ( a 4H trait) of children being 4th from the 5th house of children.