Raghavendra Rao hails from Tirupati a well known pilgrimage centre in India. He has studied M.A. Indian Culture and M.A. Astrology. He has published 20 articles in Telugu and edited and published Four Unpublished Palm Leaf Manuscripts in Telugu language. He is deeply interested in bringing out rare manuscripts translated into English for the benefit of astrology lovers worldwide. Saptarishis Astrology honors the spirit of Shri Raghavendra Rao.
Sri Vidya publishers published Telugu translated version text named “Goutama Samhita” which follows the Jaimini System of Astrology, after critical examination by Pundits (Scholars) on 18th January 1934. The Publishers expressed their opinion that another book was also published in the same title and after critical examination of that book, the present volume is comparably better in voluminous in the sense of having more verses and in more orderly, the publishers went in for the present publication.In a way it is a daring act that the present volume of “Goutama Samhita” which follows the Jaimini System of Astrology propounded by Parasara Maharshi we published the present volume. It is of immense use to the present day astrological community to study Jaimini Astrology, as well as “Goutama Samhita”We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude to Sri DLN Murthy for providing the book from his archives.
Vemuri Satyanarayana Sarma
Star Astrological Research Centre
The Science of Astrology has got a firm place established in the hearts of the people across the globe from times immemorial. A mind which is pure cannot but admit that the greatness of our ancestors is simply admirable.
As it is our ‘Dharma’ to possess knowledge about ancient texts, which direct us towards the right path; the present book ‘Goutama Samhita’ is a step in that direction. The entire book describes ‘Raja Yoga’ with reference to ‘Aroodha pada’. The Arudha pada is defined beyond doubt here. The book does refer to ‘arudha pada’ and ‘Asta arudha’ as they are beyond the scope of the book. Because of the reasons that the third and the sixth labha is referred to and ‘sarva pada malika’ is also referred to. It seems that we have to infer the ’12 padas’. Even in the 12 ‘arudhas’ the signs are described only for Lagna, Kosa, Vahana, Mantra and Rajya, upapadas. This may be due to the reason that these are very important with reference to Raja Yoga or these are to be used at many places. It is clear from the various opinions in this book that the word ‘pada’ is not used in the context of ‘labha’.
So it is not logical that in the ‘Labha Arudha Sammelana’ ‘Asta padas are used’. Also as the ‘Dhara pada’ also is not used; the ‘Astha pada’ does not seen to be have been considered at all. So, it may not be appropriate to bring in the opinions of other texts which deal with the ‘Astha pada’ what are the ‘Astha pada’ that they deal with in these texts are explained in detail in those texts. In the present text, the different Raja Yogas, like ‘laghu yoga’ special yogas, Maha Raja Yogas, Yogas relating to Wealth, Vehicles and Yogas of Bhaya are dealt with. In this exercise, not only the ‘Arudha pada’; but Karaka and other signs are also considered.
In refining this ‘Goutama Samhita’ many books in Andhra Pradesh are examined……………………………. Page lost…………………… I am much indebted to Sri D.Venkataramaiah D.S.C who extended the assistance of many kinds.
I also offer my deep felt gratitude to Sriman Medepalli V.Ramacharyulu, who is principal of College, Dept. of Telugu and Sanskrit, who is poet of the Durbar of The Maharaja of Vijayanagaram and who is a Mahopadhaya.
West Godavari Dist
- Method of Performing Pooja
- Deciding strength
- Interpreting Rajayogas
- Special Rajayogas
- Normal Rajayogas
- Dhana-Vahana Yogas
- Special Dhana Yogas
- After worshiping Goddess Saraswathi, the following Rajayogas are explained from the essence of Horasastra.
- One who is capable in Pooja Vidhana (i.e,. System of Worshiping according to Agama Sastra). One who respects his parents, Scholars and God, one who follows manava dharma, enjoys the Royal Comforts on the Earth.
- Sage Sri Suka said that who worships sakala Devatas (All deities) is a king. (Here king means not only the ruler, in modern days one who enjoys the Royal Comforts)
- To please Lord Parameswara the following items are to be given as Dana
(donation): Pumpkins, Cows, Cultivation Land, Oxes, Horses, Salagramas, sesame akshatas, oil, Jaggery, Ghee, Metals, Amlafruits, Brassmetal, Gold, neredu fruits (Jamboo Phala), and flowers.
- The following items are to be donated to Brahmanas, Provisions, Money, spicy items, (such as beetle nuts, beetle leaves, yelachi, pepper, etc.,) fruits, flowers, cots, Gold, Silver.
- Chariots (in modern days vehicles), Horses, Elephants (in modern days means of transport) Houses for dwelling, Jewels, chandana, tamboolam (sandal and beetel leaves, beetel nuts, etc., for chewing) are to be donated to Brahmanas.
- At the time of worshiping the respective Dasalord, the pooja for the respective planet (Graha), Dana, Dharma, Japa are to be performed. Gems, cereals, jewelery, items relating to the respective Dasalord are to be donated to a poor Brahamana as explained in the following verses.
- The King is respected for his greatness, power, valour, wealth etc., he will gain sarva karya siddhi, skills to win over enemies, and gains name fame and good health, if he worships with atmost bhakti and according to his capacity.
- Red Cow, White Cow, Red OX, Horse, Mare, black cow, Goat, Elephant are to be donaed as Dana.
- At the time of Dasa Periods the following are to be donated as Danam to the poor persons who are in need and below poverty line for the anugraha of the planets. Brass metal vessels, Copper, Land, Gold, Green cloths, silver, piece of metal, spices, perfumes, lead, tin,
- respective colored clothing, idols of deities, money. Jewels, are to be donated to the Guru ( teacher) for pleasing the respective Dasalord.
- Milk, Thick Curd, Jaggery, Ghee, Fruits, Flowers, Honey, Oil, Sugarcane Juice, are to be donated as Dana to Brahamanas.
- One of the following Gemstones are to be donated as Dana to a Poor man who is having family.- Ruby, Pearls, Coral, Emarald, Topaz, Diamond, Sapphire, Opal, Beryl
- which means the items used to perform a Homa ie., various types of Samidhas (dried sticks of respective trees), Ghee, Fruits, Cloths, etc.,) payasam(Kheer),(which means rice cooked with Jagiree) (cooked rice mixed with Boiled Milk) (coocked Rice mixed with thick Curd) (item cooked with mixed raw rice and raw Dhal) (Cooked rice + raw sesame) rice mixed with Blackgram; Blackgram, (means Puliyodarai) are to be donated to Brahmanas as D¡na in addition to this Dakshina and Tamboolam (Money according to capacity or according to santi and tamboolam means beetel leavs, beetel nuts, fruits, flowers etc) should be offered to Brahmanas.
- Umbralla, Fan made with palm leaf, (to modern days electrical fan/cooler), Weapon (kinfe), Chair, Vehicle, Cot, Perfumes, different types of cloths are to be donated as Dana.
- As suggested by Munis (seers) the following are said in Sastras – Good name and fame, Money, Power, valour, courage, Rajya (Country for ruling), comforts, etc being extended like Kalpavriksha.
The First Chapter containing Pooja Kramam is concluded
Note: In this Chapter as said in Sloka-4 the Dana items are to be donated starting from Suryadi Navagrahas respectively. If each is repeated 18 in number of items. The items mentioned in 5th and 6th slokas starting from Ravi to Rahu. likewise as said in slokas 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 – Japa, Homa, Dana, Archana, the items should be donated to please the Navagrahas starting from Ravi respectively. If these items used by the Receiver the respective planet will be pleased.
In this Book this chapter is not discussed in depth and in detail as such a separate note is given at the end of the chapter (atleast to understand to some extent). The Critics are requested to observe sensitively.
- In several ways ‘padas’ which means ‘its signs’ were told for several reasons, as such its predictions were told in several methods. Union, Graha Dristi, were formed for the purpose of ascertaining the predictions by the Astrologers.
- ( in another manuscript) From ancient works Arudha Lagna is known as Vijnana; Purva- Vidhi – vyanjanam- Padam; ÊxÉÊ¨ÉkÉÆ – Nimittam;- Bhavam; Rupam; Nama; pradesam Arudham were told by Yavanas.
- The following words are synoniums for Upapadam used by ancient scholars in their astrological works Prathiba, Charama, Prastham; Padantam; Anantyam; Padadhikam; AvasanamUpanthamPurvadhikam Pratharudham.
- The following words are synonyms for King, Powers,War,-country, comforts,wealth, character,&-health, wealth, name and fame. -knowledge, in the ancient days as said by the Munis and seers.
- TThe following are related to Navama Bhava i.e., the nineth house – extraordinary wealth, sufficiency,-wealthy, =nùÉ®Æú-generous, to hold Dharma-punyam &-Teacher,last/least,- strict concentration – penance.
- the following are Synonyms for simhasanarudham: vanam; kudyam; viharm; mitram; vriddhi; sukham; devagruham; ¤É±ÉÆ balam; ardhadikaram; jalam vahanam.
- The following are Synonyms for Panchamarudha Tantra; mantra;Prabhava; Maya Éänù Vibhedanam; Vigraham; Sandhi; ¤ÉÖÊrù Buddhi;Mantri & Sutaha; Purvapunyam.
- The following are Synonyms for Dhanarudham Kosam; Dhanam; Vasthram; Padartham; vittam; Dravyam; Soubhagyam; +lÉÈ Artham; Soonrutam; Mruduvakyam; Kutumbam; Padartham.
- Astrologers opined that Predictions made based on the positions of the planets are better, than the strength of planets decided based on its position in terms of degrees which have moved forward.
- Based on the strength of the planets which are placed in their own signs Maharaja Yogas were predicted. The Planets in ‘neecha’ debilitation, ‘satrusthana’ enemyplace, ‘vakrantha’ at the end of retrogression, were indicating its poor strength, does not give Raja Yogas.
- Though three Yogakaraka planets have no strength, are giving wealth (Bhagya). when four are in such positions gives lesser wealth, if five are in such position will give Rajayoga in full with Sowbhagya, afterwards basing on the positions the planets gives yoga lakshanas only.
- While explaining naisargika bala the following planets have full strength if Mercury is in Exaltation, Jupitor, Venus, and Moon are in Subhamsas.
- The Planets in Paramocha gives complete good (favourable) results during their dasa periods, however the planets in exaltation (ucha) gives normal results only.
- (* Phalam / Balam in one Manuscript it is said as Phanam in another said as Balam) The Planets in their Swasthana (own sign) gives 75% results / has 75% strength. The Planets in mitrasthana (friendly sign) gives 50% results / has 50% strength, The Planets sama Sthana (equal signs) gives 1% results / 1% strength, The Planets in satru sthana (enemy’s sign) gives no results / have no strength.
- The Planets in Adhimitra Rasis have 25 Kalas. In mitrarasi 20 Kalas, in samamitra Rasi 15Kalas, in Samasatru Rasis 10Kalas are indicated.
- The Planets in Adhi Satru Rasis have no Kala, The planets in Satru Rasis have 5 Kalas, The planets in Swasthana have 30 Kalas, The planets in Swocha have 30 Kalas, The planets in paramocha have 60 Kalas are indicated.
End of the Second Chapter